Overview of Our Client’s Situation
Our client had an online store that brought in about $225,000 per month in sales. They were spending $15,000 each month on pay-per-click advertising. Their rankings in the search engines were minimal. Their web statistics program only showed very general traffic information. And they only sporadically sent out an email newsletter even though they had a large database.
Analysis of the Situation
We suspected they were being penalized by the search engines for several things involving the programming on their website. We also suspected their email newsletter was being blocked by spam blockers because the names of the products they sold were often on used in spam emails. And they were probably wasting money on their pay-per-click advertising.
Implementation of a Solution
For the pay-per-click advertising, we started tracking the clicks down to the individual terms and the actual sales resulting from them. We deleted keywords not getting enough sales and increased the bids on ones that brought sales. We also optimized their site for appropriate keywords. With the newsletter, we made some design changes to lessen the probability of being blocked by spam filters and implemented a powerful web statistics program to analyze their site’s traffic.
Results of our Work
Through our tactics, the client saw these results:
- Within a year their sales increased to more than $600,000 per month.
- The website moved up to #4 on Google for their main search term, which was a highly competitive phrase.
- With pay per click, they went from $.62 per click to $.43. They decreased their budget to $10,000 per month, yet were able to increase their traffic by 33 percent.
- Through our optimization of their pay per click, their cost per conversion to sale decreased by more than 45 percent.
- They started getting sales through their email newsletter they had never experienced before.